Easy Way to Customize your Folder Icons
If you are like me, and have tons of photos and project files on your computer, you’ll find that adding custom icons to your folders will make it easier to find important folders by making them to stand out from the rest.
There are many tutorials on the web on how to make beautiful icons using special (sometimes free) software. However, I don’t want to download any more programs on my computer and I don’t have time for creating complicating graphics. What I found works the best is to simply use photos or graphics representing files in the folder to create icons in Photoshop.
Here are the steps:
- Click on File > New in Photoshop and set it to 250 x 250 px with RGB color and 72 Resolution.
- Then bring an image into the Photoshop and position it on the canvas in such a way so your image will be still recognizable when scaled to a size of a very small icon.
- I also like adding a border to the image (Edit > Stroke, 5-10 px is fine), so my icons have a finished look.
- Same image as PNG.
- I use a free service convertico.com to convert PNG file to ICO format (special icon folder file format). Upload your file and click “Go”.
- Download your ICO file to your folder where you store all your icons (good idea to keep them all in one place in case you’ll buy a new computer etc, and will need them later).
You will also see files you previously converted below.
- Now right-click on the folder on your computer and then click on Properties > Customize. Click on “Change Icon” at the bottom of the dialog box and then click on “Browse” to locate your file. That’s it!
Here is how your icons will look like as shortcuts on your Desktop…
… or as folder icons in your directories.